Saturday, October 18, 2008

Of Old Korean Women

I stopped out for a brief moment to catch some lunch at the 7-11 and on my way back, and elderly woman, must have been about 70-80 years old, stops dead in her tracks, smiles at me, and then starts to twirl in circles with arms outstretched. She gestures for me to join her, so I do. Afterwards, she continues to bow deeply, far more deeper than she should since I am so young compared to her, and she grabs my hand while repeatedly going "Arigatou gozaimashita! Arigatou gozaimashita!" When I asked why, she said "I am Korean."

She kept holding my hand while bowing, the smile never left her face.

I don't know what I had done to make the old woman so happy, but it was the first time since I've been here that someone seemed so happy that I was here.

I think she lives in the neighborhood. Hopefully I'll see her again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, honestly, I think this is one of my favorite posts in this blog ever. You can't fake happiness, and somehow you gave some to this old woman. That's awesome :) The kind of things that makes all worth it.

Unknown said...

I like that. I'm not sure if she's sane or anything... but whatever floats her boat. I really like that though.

okaasan said...

Dance the dance!!! Okaasan