Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Merry-Go-Round of Life

Today was my trip to the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka. Even as I sit here now, at my laptop I am on the verge of tears of happiness because I have never experienced anything so wondrous in my life as being able to see the place where Hayao Miyazaki has sat and dreamed up so many wonderful, beautiful and touching stories that always elicit great emotion from me.

Of all his movies, one has always touched me the most and holds a very special place in my heart: ハオルの動く城 -- Howl's Moving Castle. Something about the story combined with the masterful score by Joe Hisaishi just brings tears to my eyes. It also helps that it is the first Miyazaki film I saw with Michael, and therefore it is very dear to me. The novel, also, was something I enjoyed very much, making it a double treat.

What prompted the crying was just seeing the many whimsical creations within the museum. I couldn't take pictures inside, but it is like being in a whole other world. On the outside it looks like a Spanish villa, inside is illustrious Victorian with steampunk elements..Truly beyond words, and something that could only come from the mind of Miyazaki.

I got to see the Cat-Bus playroom, but alas since I am a small child, I was not allowed to take a ride. But to actually see it, well, that was enough as well. There was a beautiful garden atop of the museum and the grounds were so scenic and other-worldly...even the cafe was quaint and straight out of a painting.

I am barely able to type because it's hard to write down what it is that I feel other than that I wish Michael was here to see it. You would love it, you would spend hours here...it is a place truly meant for you to see.

After wandering the exhibits including La Petite Lourve (paintings on loan to Ghibli from the Lourve in Paris), I stopped into the shop in search for anything Nausicaa...while I succeeded, I wish there had been more, but Ghibli's more popular serials such as Totoro, Kiki, and now Ponyo was everywhere. Howl's was more visible than Nausicaa, which made me sad, but nevertheless, I found a few sweet things to send back home. I have a small puzzle with young!Sophie and Howl, a pin of Calcifer and the Dust Sprites from Spirited Away, a Dust Sprite keyfob, a Museo D'Arte Ghibli pin, as well as a few screen slides from Howl's. My Nausicaa haul will be a secret until they get sent to their proper owner. But...I hope he will like them. Oh...well, I suppose I can share just one. At the cafe, they had Hot Dogs (Porco Rosso was at the top of the sign, haha!), Ice Cream, Juice, and...風の種のビル...that is, "Beer of the Valley of the Wind".

That's right. Nausicaa beer. What the hell, Ghibli. Unfortunately, I had to drink it (or dump it out) since they wouldn't give me the bottle unopened, but I have the bottle and it's awesome label safe and sound on my desk.

Lastly, into the in-Museum theatre to watch a special Ghibli short: めいとねこバス - Mei and Cat Bus. It was so cute because most of it didn't require Japanese language knowledge. It was so precious, and involved a Baby Cat Bus, as well as Grandma Cat Bus. There were Cat-Trains, and Cat-Trolleys, and at the very end, a Cat-Blimp. It was perhaps the coolest Totoro related thing I have seen since...well...Totoro.

So, there in is my adventure for today. Time to go back to crying and lamenting about how much I just wanted to live in Ghibli-world.

(P.S. - The title of today's entry is the main theme to Howl's Moving Castle...the one that gets me crying like a baby)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My ignorance strikes again >.> I may have seen one or two films from there...I'm not even sure. But I'm glad you had a good time ^^

(And it's Louvre, not Lourve >.> sowwie)

Unknown said...

My Erykah is climbing a mountain today. This makes me happy.