Monday, December 8, 2008

A Fistful of Yen = Albums Galore

Today, me and my dynamic duo of British Gentlemen (Stewart and Josh) decided, that after three months of living here, it was time to find some pizza. And find pizza we did, at a place called Shakey's in Kichijoji. For Japanese pizza, it was amazingly good. There weren't really any particularly strange pizza's persay (No squid and mayonnaise) but they had a few odd ones like Tuna and Corn. Me and Stewart both go Bacon and Cheddar half-pizza's while Josh ordered half a Tuna and Corn and a half of the Meaty Combo.

It was pretty damn good stuff, albeit pricey (1/2 of a 13inch pizza is like $12 USD).

Over dinner we talked about novels (We all like Terry Pratchett, or rather, I'm getting into Terry Pratchett now), how our schools are retarded in how they organize degree progress, and of all things, "King of the Hill" because Stewart has some sort of strange adoration of the show.

Afterwards, as it was getting late and most of Kichijoji was shutting down, we ambled around Sunroad and stopped at Dorama, which is a game, dvd, and cd shop that always has a sale going on. This time, it was CDs for 100 yen.

Let me reiterate that: FULL ALBUMS for 100 YEN. Normally stuff like this imported would be $30-$50 a pop. So, I perused and picked up some stuff that caught my eye to broaden my musical horizons.

Orange Range - Natural (First Album, has "Asterisk" on it)
Nana Katase - Telepathy (Not sure who she is, but she's on Avex)
Do As Infinity - Gates of Heaven (Heard of them, another Avex artist)
Anna Tsuchiya - inspi'NANA [Black Stones] (Anna Tsuchiya *_*)
Chemistry - Between the Lines (...Didn't they collaborate with m-Flo?)
Casshern Official Album - Our Last Day (OST to Casshern)

So for about $7USD, I picked up 6 albums. Not bad at all.

On the way home on the Inokashira, I ended up sitting next to an old gentleman. When I went looking through my CDs, he peered over and went, "Japanese music?" (In English) and I was like, "Uhhh...O_o ...yeah." and we ended up having a strange conversation about how America is apparently this big elephant and Japan this tiny mouse that is dwarfed...I think it was about the post-War reaction or some such, his English was iffy and my Japanese is terrible, but it was really fun. He actually knew where Michigan was (and that it had five big lakes surrounding it). Apparently he's been skiing in Vancouver.

Now I'm home, ripping my newly found albums and going to relax before sleep. Tomorrow I re-register for classes. Joy of joys.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a nice haul. I liked your conversation with the older man. It makes me wonder if the 'keep to yourself' mentality is something more cemented in the younger generation.

Unknown said...

God, cheap CDs! And many Japanese albums have extra songs compared to Europe or US ones *envy*