Thursday, January 22, 2009

Your Experience May Vary

I had a tutoring session with Yasuyo today, and I think we talked more about life than practiced Japanese. Wwe got to that, of course, but she said I was fine. But it was about the entire exchange experience, especially for a country that doesn't share a language.

Since being in Japan, I have very few Japanese friends that I actually see on a regular basis, even less that I hang out with. I often feel like the token white girl that they say "hi" to every day. Granted, I knew before coming to Japan that it is very much a culture of "sameness" and being white skinned, green eyed and blond isn't really the same as a pale skinned, brown eyed and black haired Asian. There's also the language barrier. This culture is xenophobic. But still, one still carries the small torch of hope thinking that maybe the fact that the world has become so globalized that this would have vanished?

Nope. Not at all. Granted, Tomoko and Mariko are more likely to say "hi" to me and even occasionally email me, but I never get to go out with them.

When Yasuyo lived in Canada, she felt the same thing only in reverse. She didn't speak much English at that time and had next to know friends. It's not just a Japanese thing, but a global thing. Too bad we can't get over these differences and accept people from various cultures.

It was nice to build that repore with her. I hope that even after I leave I can still remain in contact with her.

4 comments:

Maxime said...

Alas, we can't change the world...only what we do. Here's hoping nobody will mind a Frenchie anywhere :D And if you ever come to France, I can sure be your guide ^^

*goes back to trying to build a better world*

Unknown said...

I think what you speak of is definitely a cultural difference. People become comfortable and satisfied with their culture and the investment of effort to simply converse with someone using another language becomes daunting. The prospect thus seems less worth-while.

I would actually liken this to the divide between the Deaf and Hearing communities wherever they be. Many people simply won't invest the time to communicate with someone when the experience is likely to be labor-intensive.

People enjoy sharing culture in a common way. It's like how you can't get a bunch of baptists and /b/tards to yap all day about anything because they lack a common interest and have many misgivings about eachother.

But there always exceptions to the rules. Simply look in the mirror for an example. :)

Anonymous said...

It's easier with kids though. And roleplayers... I think all my local friends were met through roleplaying... Okay, ALL my friends were met through roleplaying, but the point stands! :P

Anonymous said...

You make friends easily, they may even come to visit U someday!