Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Days of the Week, Planet Names, and Sailor Moon

Today's "Stupid Things I've Learned from Anime" involves having learned the kanji for writing days of the week (stuff I learned a long time ago, anyhow) and the standard lecture on how the days of the week correspond with heavenly bodies.

Today, Kurokawa was on leave from class as her Grandmother had just died. Instead, we had Ozaki, who is the J6 and Special Japanese 2 professor.

The day went as follows:

We learn how to fully write days of the week (日曜日、月曜日、水曜日、etc etc) and Ozaki, in true elementary teacher fashion, is like "Do you know why these are the days of the week?" and I'm all, of course in my nerdy way, "Oh! Oh! I know!"

So we put the celestial bodies in order, from the Sun to Pluto (which, we were told in Japanese is no longer a planet, of course. It's just a numbered space rock :C Poor Pluto.)

太陽 - Taiyou - The Sun - 日曜日 - Sunday
水星 - Suisei - Mercury - 水曜日 - Wednesday (Water Day)
金星 - Kinsei - Venus - 金曜日 - Friday (Money/Pay Day)
地球 - Chikyuu - Earth
月 - Tsuki - Moon - 月曜日 - Monday (Moon Day)
火星 - Kasei - Mars - 火曜日 - Tuesday (Fire Day)
木星 - Mokusei - Jupiter - 木曜日 - Thursday (Wood Day)
土星 - Dosei - Saturn - 土曜日 - Saturday (Ground/Earth Day)
天王星 - Tennousei - Uranus
海王星 - Kaiousei - Neptune
冥王星 - Meiousei - Pluto

So, how does this relate to Sailor Moon, you wonder?

I didn't notice it until after Ozaki wrote "Tennousei" and I went, "Uranus...Tennou Haruka...Sailor Uranus" and suddenly a lightbulb went off and I went on with my hunch and when she started to write "Kaiousei", I knew what Pluto would be and I just balked.

Now, I know each Sailor Soldiers name is a play on a legend or their planet of "origin", but I had no idea that the surnames of Sailor Uranus, Neptune and Pluto were just blatantly ripped off from the planet names themselves.

Today, I truly proved to the class what a weeaboo I am. But hell, one does not have spent a childhood loving Sailor Moon, Greco-Roman Mythology AND astronomy and NOT pick up on things like that >_>;

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow...

I would truly call this your nerd 'coming-of-age'.

Very cool though that you remembered their names from so far back! Correlating different pieces of information is a very important part in learning the backstory of a language... I just didn't think you'd be learning part of your facts from anime.

So just ignore people who say anime never taught you anything. I've learned some of the very best science through Nadesico & Macross!

Maxime said...

I knew Pluto wasn't a planet since long ago. You may be the weeaboo, I still have some advance in astronomy!

(Pluto is smalle than some objects in the Kuiper belt, so they decided if these weren't planets, Pluto isn't either)

/nerd

Anonymous said...

What can be learned from Strawberry Shortcake? :)