Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Wisdom from the Empress Shoken

I ventured out to Yoyogi with the intent to go to Yoyogi park, but instead, due to the weather being rather crappy, I settled on visiting Meiji Shrine instead. As today marks the founding of modern Japan via the constitution, the Shrine was all sorts of busy with various local shrines having brought their o-mikoshi (portable shrines, to transport the kami, or gods, in) to Meiji Shrine for a blessing.

It was crazy. Absolute chaos. Yet it was so cool. I took lots of photos of the o-mikoshi, some video as well, and of course the torii gates. Bought a matching set of kekkon-o-mamori (protective charms for couples) for a pair of friends who are getting married later in the year, like I promised them I would :) I also wrote a prayer and offered it to the shrine, so when the priests burn the paper as offerings, my prayer will go to the kami :)

Lastly, I bought myself an o-mikuji, or a fortune. Normally they are only in Japanese, however, Meiji being such a tourist attraction (and literally, everything is bi-lingual, even the Priestesses), I chose to get one that I could finally read.

The difference between regular o-mikuji and the Meiji Shrine o-mikuji is that Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken were lovers of poetry, together penning over 130,000 poems. So for their o-mikuji's, they use one of the many poems. Given how randomized it is, the poem is supposed to have you reflect and meditate on it's deeper meaning as opposed to the "You will die on a Friday" type fortunes.

Mine is below:

Let us but be gentle, honest --
Though we lack the worldy greatness,
In the bamboo grove of life,
To tower over all.

(Be gentle and honest above all. Though you lack the genius to tower over others like the tallest bamboo in the grove. Thus your life will be truly happy and unclouded.)

In short:

Learn contentment, don't set unrealistic goals, and when you find that balance, all will be well.

...I rather like this fortune <3

2 comments:

Maxime said...

Excellent fortune indeed ^^

Unknown said...

I like it too. Though my translation is a bit different.

I don't think the second line refers to an inability to achieve the greatness of other people, but rather some other things. Consider the life span of bamboo and the potential for a single grove to be near or at the site of so many important events. In that way a human may never have the wisdom of a forest or its longevity but we can contemplate and aspire.

It's a pleasant departure from Western poetry in which man finds wonderment in nature but only guidance in creatures and more often himself.

Better vs. Greater is the theme I get from it. There are many metrics of worth. But to be gentle and honest (and thus truthful) are some of the best.