Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Osaka Castle, Shitennoji, and Sumiyoshi Taisha, with special guests Komatsu Maki and her sisters Izumi and Ai

Yesterday was all sorts of busy. We took an early day so we could fit in everything we had planned. Just up the street from our hotel is Osaka Castle (大阪城). I find it serendipitous to come to Osaka and to visit the castle considering I had written so much about it during my first term here. It was built in the early 17th century shortly after Toyotomi Hideyoshi unified Japan. After his death, Tokugawa Ieyasu laid siege to the castle for years until Hideyoshi's son, Hidenori, and his mother committed suicide. Razed to the ground, Tokugawa ordered it rebuilt. That incarnation lasted some forty years before lighting struck the tower and it burned down...again.

A word on Osaka Castle: the complex is HUGE. And beautiful. I took an entire card's worth of photos <3

After that, it was off to Shitennoji Temple, which also was a large complex. There was a bit of a flea market happening, so I perused and got myself a second obiage for my kimono, just in case. For $5, it was worth it. I also was able to acquire a pair of shirts for me and Michael <3 I figured, since I am in the land of the Tigers...<3 At Shitennoji, we were able to climb to the top of the funerary pagoda and look over the entire complex. It was breathtaking.

Finishing up the day, we took a cable-car to Sumiyoshi Taisha, which was built in the fifth year of Taisho (5 years after Emperor Meiji's death, to give you an idea). Another very large, but very, very beautiful complex. I couldn't stop taking pictures in this area, and I started fiddling with black and white settings at that point. This shrine was dedicated to Inari, the fox-deity of prosperity and agriculture.

Worn out and beat, we start the trek home when I get messages from Maki and we arrange to meet up for dinner along with her sister :) What I wasn't expecting was all of her sister's, one's husband, and another's friend. It was great to have such a large party, and just to see Maki again, I was so happy. Much yakitori was eaten, beer was drank, and kanpai's were had.

As suspected, Maki is working for her father's paper company, and she's doing well and looking great. She's bummed about her Japanese not being up to par (her sister's make jabs) and she feels her English is slipping. I told her, she can use Japanese and English with me anytime she needs the help :) Maki also gave me a simple gift of Hello Kitty pencils, with my name in hiragana engraved into them as well as soybean-powder cookies ;~; It was unexpected, and I felt bad for not having had the time to have gotten her anything.

We're doing dinner again on Thursday.

I'll get her something by then, I'm sure of it. Anywho, today we're off to Ise. Need to go say 'hello' to Amaterasu!

0 comments: