Sunday, October 26, 2008

I Left My Umbrella In Harajuku

Yesterday was a leisurely day of getting a whole page done on my research paper (always the hardest part!) and then going to Harajuku to participate in a market research dohickey about electric shavers and giving them as gifts to boyfriends or husbands. For the two hours I spent there, I made 10,000 yen. Not bad compensation for just talking about what we like in a shaver, packaging, and set options.

Met some really cool expats there as well. Kelly is a shoemaker (old school, sewing soles and stuff), Jaime is an English teacher, India teaches at Waseda, Kelly works at a PR and marketing firm along with Malaya, and Mari was a student as well, I think. Everyone but me and Jaime spoke fluent enough Japanese but I used mine as best I could. I aspire to be like the other women who were just fantastic (Mari is exempt, seeing as how she's half-Japanese)

Didn't get much of a chance to take pictures of Harajuku this time. There were a lot of kidlets in Halloween costumes though, it was cute. I think they were trick-or-treating in the department store. I saw a guy dressed up as a Saiyajin (Saiyan from Dragonball Z) and I tried to ask for a picture, but he was all, "10,000 yen! 10,000 yen!" ...yeah, right. Sorry. I might be white, but I'm not stupid, asshole.

Then when I was on the train heading home I realized...I left my umbrella at the interview room for the market research. Le sigh. I'll have to pick up another one soon.

Got home, ate dinner, watched a movie, studied some Japanese and hit the hay.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good day overall. Money-making is always good, and gave you the opportunity to train your JApanese!

Sorry for your umbrella :( hope you get another (for cheap) soon. I keep forgetting this kind of things too....only solution I found?

I don't have an umbrella :D

Unknown said...

Halloween there sounds slightly more interesting than over here.

But what I'm really curious about. Were you going for a play on "I left my heart in San Francisco" with the title?